Monday, March 5, 2012

Operation Learning Vacation

Hello again friends! This week is a bit of a change of pace.  No little guys to check out in the pics because I had a "vacation"!  I was away from the farm so I consider it quite the vacation but an average outsider may not.  My terrific mother heard of a conference about women in agriculture and thought we just had to go!  So off we went...to Amish country!  

You know you have arrived in Amish country when you see hitching posts and buggies!  

We arrived and the learning began.  The conference was educational in purpose but we did have some fun!  I learned a little bit about being a citizen of agriculture and spreading the word...ahem...thus the blog.  Then a bit about working through the generations.  We ran away for lunch because the Amish don't just have horse and buggies they have great food!  So we had lunch and then continued our enrichment.  That evening after dinner and learning about crops in Costa Rica, think real hard and I bet you can come up with them...bananas, coffee, and cocoa we went back to the hotel to relax.  Relaxing began but as we began to wind down we lost power and had to rough it Amish style with no power.  The whole town lost power for hours!

An average amish farm, no electric required! 
We awoke anew with electricity! We attended a couple more sessions and then took to the streets!  My absolute favorite part about Amish country is the fabric stores!   They are all terrific and many stores have a fabric department included even the hardware store!  I was in heaven!  Mom even took me to the real deal fabric store where I was in awe for at least 45 minutes before our stomachs interrupted my dreams!  I didn't even take pictures I was having so much fun exploring!   From now on I want to buy all my fabric in Amish country oh my!

Finally we had to head home, I did miss all my baby boys.  We passed a few buggies and headed out.  It was a great trip, we learned a lot, shopped a bit, and explored an area not so far from home distance wise but a different world in terms of culture.  Overall a great trip that somehow managed to extend the week!

I hope you enjoyed this special post!

So long!  
Calf Count : 72

No comments:

Post a Comment