Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Beginning

Not so long ago, only a few months really, you could have found me along the shore of of more than 10,000 lakes in Minnesota, but that is another story for another day.  These days I can be found in Northwest Indiana in the land of more than 10 million corn stalks.  I have returned home to the family farm where I work with my favorite kind of four legged friends, cattle.

The goal of this blog is to give all of my lovely friends who are not so close by a glimpse of my life these days.  And if I should happen to impart a little informational material to someone I do not know about life in the agricultural industry, I hope it is great material that they can use or at least appreciate!

So let's get down to business.  What is it that I do these days?  Well I like to consider myself a herdsman, as in keeper of the herd.  Haha.  I am one of many keepers in actuality but that is my main focus.

The next question you might ask is how big is this "herd" that I speak of.  Well it varies regularly but it tends to stay in the hundreds, less than 1000 for sure haha.  And what kind of herd?  We raise mostly dairy cattle now, and no cows.  Cattle not cows.  Cows for those of you who don't know are the girls in the cattle herd.  We have none of those around here.  We have cattle and calves and steers, but no cows.

My primary task around these parts is the starting of the herd.   A.k.a.  raising the youngest ones to be big and strong.  How young?  Sometimes only a day or two old when I go pick them up.   The little guys arrive at their new home where they get their own house and milk and food galore!  They stay here for the first 2 months of life and then they get to make more friends and move to a new home.

For now I leave you with a glimpse of my office.   Not too bad at all if you ask me.   If you have a question you would like me to answer just leave it here and maybe the next post will address it!


1 comment:

  1. Um....why do you only have the dairy cattle, isn't the point in getting milk?

    ReplyDelete