Sunday, April 29, 2012

Shinguards and Solutions - Hard To Come By

Hello long lost followers and friends!  Sorry I have been so lax with the blog not much going on besides the norm and not a heck of a lot of time for writing!  Spring will wear a girl out if she's not careful.

Speaking of norm,say hello to Cliff (left) and Norm!  They are great drinkers thus their names!  
This week I thought I would recap a little differently with a straight up list of what I learned.  So here you are.

* No one has all the answers.  Most of the time they have no answer.  I'm still working on accepting this, I like answers a lot.  I like clear answers and solutions, often impossible things in agriculture.  Something I have recently learned about myself.

* Not everyone is willing to help or share information or ideas or whatever.  Another one that I struggle with, but I'm trying.

* Observation is everything but you have to observe the right things.  You can observe the wrong things all day long and get nowhere, but the right observations will get you everywhere if you know where to look.  Another that I am working on, working extremely hard.

* Rain really is a good thing.  Wind, however, is not!  We have had a lot of wind and a very limited amount of rain.  Maybe this week, maybe just maybe.  (Corn planting has begun though, the boys are about half way done, I think.  They don't need my help much other than parts runs.)

Playing in the rain while it lasts! 

* I always need to learn more!  It's constant and sometimes overwhelming.  Things change often and my need for answers takes over again and again.

* Laughter can remedy many situations, uncomfortable or otherwise.  Something that I think I can be good at when given a good opportunity.

* Laying a calf down is hard work!  I learned how to lay a calf down in a field or anywhere, and it is much harder than those darn cowboys make it look!  The need to lay a calf down is primarily for a shot, aka they are too fast to catch in the middle of the field or lot or wherever so you basically throw them on the ground for their own well being, give the shot, and let them go.  In most cases at least in the couple times I did or attempted to do it, I felt worse off than the calf who was just treated.

These former little guys are getting big.  They like to lick the truck!

* I should probably invest in shinguards for my daily wear.  My shins would certainly thank me.  One is bloody the other welted.  From gates to calves to casual run ins, my shins seem to hate the life I lead.  Guess they will just have to adjust!

Finally,

* I am blessed to be here where I am allowed to learn from my mistakes instead of punished for them which is just amazing because let's face it I am totally not perfect, not even a little.

I do know that if you ever need a good workout or good laugh I'm your girl!  I'm trying and learning and trying some more!

Have a good week everybody!



Calf Count: 75



No comments:

Post a Comment